Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ocular Manifestations of AIDS

These occur in about 75
percent of patients and sometimes may be the
presenting features of AIDS in an otherwise healthy
person or the patient may be a known case of AIDS
when his eye problems occur. Ocular lesions of AIDS
may be classified as follows:
1. Retinal microvasculopathy. It develops from
vaso-occlusive process which may be either due to
direct toxic effects of virus on the vascular
endothelium or immune complex deposits in the
precapillary arterioles.
It is characterised by non-specific lesions (Fig.
19.9):
Multiple ‘cotton-wool spots’ occur in 50 percent
cases,
Superficial and deep retinal hemorrhages occur in
15-40 percent cases.
Microaneurysms and telangiectasia may also be
seen rarely.
2. Usual ocular infections. These are also seen in
healthy people, but occur with greater frequency and
produce more severe infections in patients with AIDS.
These include:
Herpes zoster ophthalmicus,
Herpes simplex infections,
Toxoplasmosis (chorioretinitis),
Ocular tuberculosis, syphilis and fungal corneal
ulcers.
3. Opportunistic infections of the eye. These are
caused by microorganisms which do not affect normal
patients. They can infect someone whose cellular
immunity is suppressed by HIV infection or by other
causes such as leukaemia. These include:
cytomegalovirus (CMV) retinitis (see page 253 Fig
11.5), candida endophthalmitis, cryptococcal
infections and pneumocystis carini, choroiditis.
4. Unusual neoplasms. Kaposi’s sarcoma is a
malignant vascular tumour which may appear on the
eyelid or conjunctiva as multiple nodules. It is seen
in about 3 percent cases of AIDS. Burkitt’s lymphoma
of the orbit is also seen in a few patients.
5. Neuro-ophthalmic lesions. These are thought to
be due to CMV or other infections of the brain. These
include isolated or multiple cranial nerve palsies
resulting in paralysis of eyelids, extraocular muscles,
loss of sensory supply to the eye and optic nerve
involvement causing loss of vision.
Management. It consists of the measures directed
against the associated infection/lesions. For example:
CMV infections can be treated by zidovudine,
gancyclovir and foscarnet (see page 422).
Kaposi’s sarcoma responds to radiotherapy.
Horpes zoster ophthalmicus, is treated by
acyclovir.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! glad to drop by your page and found these very interesting and informative stuff. Thanks for sharing, keep it up!

    - ocular research

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August 2010. A valuable friend told me about Dr. Itua Herbal Center in West Africa. She gave me her phone number and email address. I quickly contacted him to guarantee that his herbal medicines will heal my cancer and I will heal forever I said OK.I ask him what is the healing process, he asks me to pay the fees I did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine and then he asked me I told my friend Gomez about the herbal drug so that he gave me to go and drink it.So after drinking for two weeks, I was cured, I am so grateful and I promise that I will do it I recommend to anyone who has cancer and that that I am doing. Herbal medicine Dr. Itua makes me believe that there is hope for people with Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia, scoliosis, bladder cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, kidney cancer. , Leukemia, lung cancer, skin cancer, uterine cancer, prostate cancer Fibromyalgia,
    Fibrodysplasia Syndrome, Epilepsy,Sclerosis sickness, Dupuytren's Disease, Diabetes, Celiac Disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia, Arthritis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Alzheimer's Disease, Lupus, Adrenocortic Carcinoma.Asthma, Allergic Diseases.HIV Help, Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Cervical Cancer,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer
    ,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Meniere's disease,Thyroid Cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer
    HIV Aids, Herpes, Disease Chronic inflammatory, Memory disorder,
     Here is his contact information ...... [Email ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. Whatsapp ... + 2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete